Sunday, January 22, 2006

A wonderful day

I had a blast today. I am so glad I decided to go to Niagara Falls. It was great! The town is very much a tourist town. It was dead and almost everything was closed. I can't imagine that little town in the height of the season. Ack! The town itself was VERY depressing. Most of downtown was boarded up, and everything was just dirty and rotting down. I would think that they could sustain some cute little shops downtown... especially since the falls are right down there.

Jill had told me about a show she watched about Niagara falls. They have discovered that the reason it is considered such a romantic place was that the conditions at the falls actually cause a physiological feeling of "romance". The moral of the story is: Don't get married on a whim at Niagara Falls.

I started making my way back to Syracuse at 5pm. I cut across Beaver island into Buffalo. That was cool. I thought of you Jim when I crossed over the bridges. Oh, yeah, I was on the phone with you! I went through a really pretty part of buffalo.

I stopped at this dairy in one of the tiny towns and got some cheese for the guys at work. They had a bunch of kinds. I got swiss, cheddar, and cheese curds. I kinda gagged when I got back to the car. I had a flashback of a Food Network show on the making of cheese. Why on earth did I buy cheese curds? Gag!

Then I cut over so I could go through Batavia... I don't know why, but I have always wanted to go to Batavia. I DO NOT KNOW WHY. That was a dirty, scary, redneck little place. Did I mention scary? I did find a kick ass chocolate shop - Oliver's. Hey... maybe that is why I wanted to go to Batavia.

I went through Geneva, which is at the head of one of the finger lakes. It was really pretty, and then I went through Seneca Falls - it is also at the head of one of the finger lakes. Seneca Falls was AMAZING! There was a huge stretch of huge victorian mansions along rte 5. I wanted to go knock on all the doors and ask if they needed a servant. I would just die to live in one of those houses. The arched Doors, leaded glass, towers, woodwork, cool light fixtures, carriage houses... oh my.

I got back to little Camillus, and it just paled in comparison. But I was glad to climb into my pjs and make some hot tea.

Powered by Blogger