Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Signing the Papers

So today Jim and I signed all the paperwork on the house. It was a gruelling hour of signing over and over and over. The seller is going to sign tomorrow, and we will get the key when it posts friday.

I was really nervous about it. I knew nothing was likely to go wrong... but I've had some pretty unexpected mishaps at closings. When we sold the house in Knoxville Jim gave me power of attorney so I could do all the paperwork while he drove the furniture to Indiana. I got to the closing and the buyer was not there. We were supposed to sign at the same time. The title agent and realtor called around looking for them. They had gone to the house to have a look around. I had exactly 45 minutes so I could drive to Indiana and make it to the closing on the house in Indy. They were nice enough to let me sign and leave. So I signed and started the drive to Indiana... not knowing if they really ever signed. Driving down I-75 (at responsible speeds of course mom) I got a call from the title company in Indiana telling me we had to bring $900 in money order/certified check to closing. At that point I was 200+ miles from my bank, and most ATMs lock you out of all of them after $400 or so. I called Jim and and drove around little downtown Franklin, IN hitting every ATM for the max he could get out. After hitting 3 in like 4 minutes he got the money out of our account before the transactions posted.

This time it was smooth sailing!

Powered by Blogger