Friday, November 09, 2007

From A Plane

Sometimes I think I should learn more about geology. I see things from planes and on the ground that make me wish I knew how they were formed. I don’t know… in Tennessee and especially in Indiana I never really had that sort of curiosity, but since I have lived out here and have been traveling more, I really have begun to wonder about it. I think it is because the rock formations, mountains, etc. are so dramatic, and I have at least the basic understanding that a lot of it is related to all the volcanic activity and plates moving. When I fly over the rockies or strange land formations I try to picture what happened to create it. I think some of that curiosity too is fueled by the shear pattern of it all.

I seem to have this “eye through the lens” mentality. I have started to realize that I have always been like that. I am so visually stimulated and so attuned to patterns. Mom can tell you stories of how I irritated her when we would go clothes shopping, looking for fabric, or carpet, or wallpaper. I’d always have some reaction to the pattern of the supposedly random. It just leaps out at me. I try to make patterns of everything. When I am seeing something either casually in my field of view or looking directly at it, I always try to make it align or create a pattern. I know many of you by now are shaking your head and saying “OCD”. Yes that’s probably true (actually I have had that confirmed by some very reliable sources).

All this said, I really think that is why I have an interest in learning more about geology. I have the base obsession with patterns and visual arrangements, and when that is combined with my need for understanding how things work its only natural I guess.

The whole OCD/pattern/alignment issue also fuels my interest in photography. I really would like to learn more about that too. If only my travel schedule was not so erratic… I could take some classes in all of thee above. When I was younger I tried painting, crafting, and sculpting. When my inability to finish things I start didn’t kick in, I actually produced some kinda good stuff. Several things in my mental state have changed to squelch that sort of creativity, but I think my “eye through a lens” mentality might just let me use photography as my creative outlet.

Powered by Blogger