Sunday, March 26, 2006

Organizing the house

Today I got up early again and ran out for some errands. Yes I went to Target, but Home Depot was too crowded to deal with.

Dad had asked me to go down and check out some of the towns that were on the way down towards Salem. I decided that this would be a pretty sunny day to do it. Everything looks better in the sun. The first town was just 12 miles south of our house – Wilsonville. It was really nice. I is soon to become a bedroom community of Portland. There is lots of new construction and plenty of nice new apartment for mom and dad. They had great walking trails, parks, and sidewalks. The house prices were not nearly as bad as Portland, and they were set fairly far apart. It also had plenty of one level houses. Most of the houses in Portland are several stories because of the price of land.

The next town was about another 12 miles further – Woodburn. It was pretty yucky. The housing was much cheaper. Much cheaper. It was not so trashy, just kinda gross. In its defense – it had a super Wal-Mart.

When I got back to the house I decided to break down all the empty boxes and bag all the packing materials that I had been dumping in the kitchen. It really compressed down to nothing. I then began to put things in their place. Yes… I just made a dent.

I took down all of the blinds in the Kitchen area. Did you know spiders LOVE to live in the brackets of the mini blinds? There was lots of squealing and screaming going on. I began doing laundry, washing all of the linens. I also began my marathon dish washering of all the kitchen items. The house has the same type of dishwasher we bought for the house in Indy. I love it! It is so quiet, and I was shocked when I saw how sparkly clean the dishes were when they came out. My dishwasher in NY sucked.

I finally worked up the courage to go to Home Depot. It wasn’t too crowded. I however did not know that Sunday nights are gay boy night at the Home Depot. There were scores of well dressed, nice smelling, polite men running around. It was a nice change from standing next to a sweaty smelly guy in the plumbing section.

I hate to admit it, but I was in the plumbing section because I needed to buy a snake. Yes... I am famous for stopping up toilets, and this time I needed something stronger than a plunger. It is amazing that I have lived this long without a snake.

Powered by Blogger