Sunday, February 04, 2007

Out and About

Jim and I went on a little excursion today. We drove NW out of town, drove through Scappoose and St. Helens (the city). It was bright and sunny, and we could see Mt Hood, Mt Adams, and Mt St Helens on the horizon. That is one of many reasons I love living here.

Scappoose is one of those places that isn't really exciting, and I only knew of its existance because they talk about it on the weather channel alot. I guess they have a weather station there. It does however have the "Peace Candle of the World" - aka a silo dressed like a candle.

We went on to St Helens. It was a cute little place, too bad there is a Boise-Cascade paper plant there. It is right on the Columbia river. They had a very cool courthouse. We went to a nice antique store on the waterfront. The owner had recently moved to St Helens from Asheville NC. We reminisced about that area. She said they were hoping to move back there in a few years. When Jim and I went back out to the car I kinda felt a little homesick for a minute.

They had a dock on the Columbia, and Jim and I walked out on it. There was a big cargo ship that was slowly going by. St Helens is right at a branch off of the main channel of the river. As it approached the branch point it looked as if it was going aground. It was kind of surreal looking.

Powered by Blogger