Friday, December 21, 2007

Winter Wonderland

I flew to Skaneateles the 16th (Sunday) to spend the week. I had meetings all week, and I planned to leave Thursday afternoon. There was a ton of snow. They had been dumped on all week, and it continued. I got to the Syracuse airport just fine, but Hertz didn't have any 4 wheel drive cars left. I opted for the trusty Camry. I decided to take the I-90 (NY State Thruway) thinking it would be clearer than I-81. I think I made a pretty good choice there. Snow was coming down really hard, and I was driving pretty darn slow because it was still slick. The salt trucks and scrapers were having a hard time. No matter which way I had taken I eventually had to get off onto small roads to get to Skaneateles. I got off I-90 at Weedsport and freaked out. The streets were bad, and the snow was coming down harder. I creeped along, got honked at, and battled horizontal gusts of snow. I got to the hotel very late. It is a boutique hotel so there is no one there. You just let yourself in. Well I had trouble getting into the drive. I had to ramp up onto the snow bank made by the snow scrapers to get in. I just kept putting it in drive and gunning it, then putting it in reverse and gunning it over and over. Finally I busted through the snow bank and luckily did not hit the side of either of the houses that flanked the driveway. I had a little freak out moment there. I went around back to park and basically slid 360 degrees and left the car where it stopped. Luckily I was the only one there. Overall I think I did pretty good. Hey people.... I'm from Tennessee! I think there was almost 2 feet of snow. You better believe I made poor Paul drive me around all day the next day, but by Tuesday I was fine. Tuesday night I ventured out for dinner. Since the hotel is in "downtown" Skaneateles I could walk to everything. I walked around for a long time. It was so pretty. Wednesday it was sunny for a bit, but of course the snow stayed. It sort of snowed off and on until I left Thursday afternoon.

Today I had hoped to stay home from work, but of course I ended up going in. It was good that I did though. I got to see everyone before christmas.

Powered by Blogger